The SONAR 2017.01 update includes the following:
How to Download the SONAR 2017.01 Update
- Open Cakewalk Command Center. If you don’t have the latest installer, Command Center will prompt you to download and install it. Cakewalk highly recommends that you do this. (Also remember that you can always download the latest version from the Cakewalk Command Center page.)
- Update SONAR Core by selecting SONAR Platinum/Professional/Artist, then clicking Install.
- Update Rapture Session Core by selecting Rapture Session, then clicking Install
- Update Engineering FX Suite by selecting it, then clicking Install
- Update SONAR Local Documentation by selecting it, then clicking Install
Artist, Professional, Platinum
You can now start playback from the middle of a MIDI note and the note event will trigger and sustain for the remainder of its duration. You no longer need to start playback before the note start time in order to trigger the note.
To enable/disable MIDI Note chasing, go to Edit > Preferences > Project > MIDI and select MIDI Event Chase on Play and Include Note Events.
When Include Note Events is enabled, SONAR analyzes the project and includes MIDI Note events that start before the point where playback begins. If Include Note Events is disabled, only MIDI Note events that begin after the playback location will trigger.
A. Start playback from here B. These notes will only play if Include Note Events is enabled, because the note start times occur before the playback location C. This note will not play because it ends before the playback location D. These notes will always play because they start after the playback location
MIDI Note chasing is very useful in different situations where note events overlap the point where playback begins, including:
- When starting playback on a measure boundary, and the project contains syncopated notes that occur slightly before the downbeat.
- When starting playback in the middle of a project that contains long sustaining notes that trigger a synth pad or arpeggiator.
Artist, Professional, Platinum
Matrix view cells are now editable using the Step Sequencer or the Loop Construction View. Editing a cell is easy: simply double-click on the cell to open it.
Edit Cell Content
Individual MIDI cell content can be edited with the Step Sequencer, and audio cell content can be edited with the Loop Construction view.
To edit a cell, do one of the following:
- Double-click the cell background.
- Select an audio cell and press ALT+7.
- Select a MIDI Step Sequencer cell and press ALT+4.
If you want to edit MIDI cells that don’t contain Step Sequencer content, you must first convert the MIDI data to Step Sequencer data. To do so, select the cell(s) you want to convert, then right-click the cell and select Convert MIDI Clip(s) to Step Sequencer on the pop-up menu.
To create a new Step Sequencer cell, right-click an empty cell and select Create New Step Sequencer Cell on the pop-up menu.
Insert Instrument Row
To insert a new MIDI row routed to a new Instrument track, right-click a row and point to Insert Instrument Row on the pop-up menu, then select the desired instrument.
Home Studio, Artist, Professional, Platinum
Rapture Session continues to evolve: version 2.0.5 offers several new features as well as some fixes.
Poly Synth Instrument Page
Including a graphic that indicates the instrument type has always been regarded as one of Rapture Pro and Rapture Session's more helpful features. One such graphic is now provided for poly synth programs too.
50 New Poly Synth Sounds
And since there’s a Poly Synth instrument page, why not include some new sounds to go along with? Why not, indeed—there are now 50 new sounds with the core install.
Load Waveform and Save Program Improvements
Rapture Pro now remembers independent locations for Load Program and Save Program, which solves the potential annoyance of having to switch back and forth between folders when loading and saving.
- The multisample loading process is now multithreaded, which gives much faster loading of programs with samples that take up lots of memory.
- The introduction of resource sharing means resources aren’t reloaded if they’re shared with the previous program.
- The bug where the eighth instrument control retained the settings from a previously loaded program has been fixed.
- Improvement to the authorization process for both Mac and Windows computers that are on slower connections.
Artist, Professional, Platinum
- Resolved a crash when opening the Staff View in a Normal project template
- Resolved a crash when re-assigning a send to a new Aux track
- Resolved a crash when Exporting Audio
- Resolved an issues for plug-ins with a sidechain could cause SONAR to hang on load
- Resolved a crash on deleting tracks with project that contain hidden tracks
- Resolved a crash after copying Step Sequencer clips
- Resolved a crash using Aria Player
- Resolved a playback issue in WASAPI Driver Mode while Dynamic Arming is enabled
- Patch Points were adding 6dB of gain in some situations
- Export Clips > Follow Source now properly exports clips as Mono
- The ProChannel now follows the The Global Bypass All Audio FX without disabling the individual modules
- Splitting an audio clip could occasionally fail in SONAR Projects
- Recording multiple passes of audio creates no longer creates overlaps
- Resolved an issue where Slip-stretching the end of a clip could alter the clips start time
- Updated an error in documentation for clip stretching Midi
- Split tool now works as expected on step sequencer clips
- Selecting MIDI In/Out in VST Soft Synths now works properly
- Enable MIDI Output no longer displays in the Default Soft Synth Options. This depends on the synth and cannot be configured as a default but previously appeared as an option
- Step Sequencer doesn't scroll as expected after expanding row
- Step Sequencer frame is now fully themed
- Step Sequencer clips copied to new tracks now link properly to the original
- Expanded Step Sequencer rows are now themed as expected
- Resolved an issue where bouncing Step Sequencer & MIDI clips together could result in data loss
- Empty Step Sequencer cells in matrix do not update in duration
- No Undo for Delete of Empty Matrix Row
- Resolved an issue where Matrix View cell could be delayed during playback
- Stop All Cells now properly stops playback for cells edited during playback
- Ctrl + click will toggle cell selection in the Matrix View
VST Scan & Plug-in Manager
- Existing VST2 plugins in Plug-in Manager's folder tree look as if they are grayed out
- If a VST3 plugin's name is changed in an update, VSTScan now no longer creates duplicate menu entries
- VST2 plug-ins in existing custom plug-in layouts blank
- Synth Rack Collapses After Adding Synth with "Open These Windows: Synth Rack View" enabled
- Synth Rack keyboard shortcut is now consistent with other views
- Undocking the Synth Rack and disabling floating could cause the view to not reopen
- Synth Rack related keyboard shortcuts now respond properly
- The Virtual Controller when deselected in the lens, will no longer appear as an optional input
- Reduced the amount of UI flicker when switching lenses/screensets
- Improved highlighted Text in Lens Manager's drop-down
- Adding a Marker from a Control Surface would fail
- Multiple Control Surface plug-ins could cause the ACT mapping XML file to become corrupted
Project & File Handling
- Track templates no longer expand / open Inspector
- Add Track flyout would occasionally appear on Project Load
- Track name in Properties Inspector now updates as expected
- Instruments assigned to a Drum Map now open as expected from the track icon
- Resolved an issue with .WRK files loading in SONAR
- Improved the displayed text in the Browser after searching and then clicking away