Recording automation data from an external controller
1. In either the Track view or Console view, right-click the control or knob that you want to control externally, and choose Remote Control from the pop-up menu.The Remote Control dialog box appears.
2. If your controller sends standard MIDI messages, RPN’s, or NRPN’s, choose a controller (such as Wheel) with which to control your knob or control (see Remote Control dialog for more information). Also choose the MIDI channel your controller will be sending the automation data on (it doesn’t have to be the same channel that the knob or control’s track plays back on), and click OK.
3. If your controller works by sending Sysx information instead, choose options in the Sysx fields (see Remote Control dialog for more information), and click OK.
4. In either the Track or Console view, write enable the knob or control for automation that you just configured for remote control.
6. When you finish recording the automation, click the Stop button or press the SPACEBAR.Listen to your project and either re-record the automation, or disable each armed control by clicking the Allow Automation Writing button in the Control Bar’s Mix module. You can disable remote control by right-clicking the relevant knob or fader and choosing Disable Remote Control from the pop-up menu.
Tip: When recording automation from a non touch-sensitive control surface, it is recommended that you use Latch or Overwrite mode.
Note: When writing automation from a control surface, SONAR uses whichever automation write mode is set on the track.
Tip - Searching Documentation
Tip: To search for a specific topic, type your search query in the Search Cakewalk.com field at the top right of this page.
When the search results appear, click which product's documentation you would like to search to filter the search results further.
Note - Using Offline Help
Note: If you prefer to always use offline Help, go to Edit > Preferences > File > Advanced in your Cakewalk software and select Always Use Offline Help.
If you are not connected to the internet, your Cakewalk software will default to showing offline help until an internet connection becomes available.