SONAR supports both VST and DirectX effect and instrument plug-ins. You will first need to determine which of these two types of plug-ins you have. Most third-party plug-ins are VST.When you install a new VST plug-in, be mindful of the folder where it is installed as often times this location is set by the plug-in manufacturer upon installation. Common default locations include:C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins (recommended location)VST plug-ins appear in SONAR via the integrated VST scanner. If you have installed VST plug-ins to a common location, like the folders listed earlier, you may not need to take any additional steps. If the new plug still does not appear, you will need to point SONAR's VST scanner to the exact directory where your new VST plug-in is installed.
1. Go to Edit > Preferences > File - VST Settings.
2. Under VST Scan Folder(s), click the Add button and browse to the folder where the new plug-in is installed.
Note: VST scanner looks for dll files. So for example, the file PerfectSpace.dll is found under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins. You will probably notice that this directory has already been added by default and thus Perfect Space appears automatically.
4. Click Scan VST Folders.
5. Click OK to close the Preferences dialog box.Normally, no additional setup is required for DirectX plug-ins. DirectX plug-ins install globally into Windows and are seen by any DirectX host program, such as SONAR. If your new DirectX plug-in is not appearing in SONAR, first check to make sure it is installed properly. If you are confident it is installed properly, then the plug-in may be excluded from your plug-in lists. To check:
1. Go to Utilities > Cakewalk Plug-in Manager to open Cakewalk Plug-in Manager.
2. Click Show Excluded in the lower left corner.
3. In the Plug-in Categories list, select DirectX Audio Effects (DX) (for audio effects) or DirectX Instruments (DXi) (for soft synths).
4. Verify if the plug-in appears in the Registered Plug-ins list. If so, the plug-in is excluded.
5. To enable any excluded plug-in, select the plug-in in the Registered Plug-ins list, then click Enable Plug-in.
Tip - Searching Documentation
Tip: To search for a specific topic, type your search query in the Search Cakewalk.com field at the top right of this page.
When the search results appear, click which product's documentation you would like to search to filter the search results further.
Note - Using Offline Help
Note: If you prefer to always use offline Help, go to Edit > Preferences > File > Advanced in your Cakewalk software and select Always Use Offline Help.
If you are not connected to the internet, your Cakewalk software will default to showing offline help until an internet connection becomes available.