Before proceeding, check the currently installed firmware version of your hardware to determine if this update is necessary. For instructions on how to do this click here.
VS-700C Console Firmware Installation Instructions:
IMPORTANT: if you have installed the VS-700 as a SET (both the VS-700R and VS-700C), then your computer must recognize the VS-700C as a stand-alone device before proceeding with the installation. If you currently have the VS-700C configured as a stand-alone device, proceed to the steps below. If you do not, please install and configure your VS-700C as a stand-alone device.
- Instructions for Windows XP users can be downloaded by clicking here. (approx. 400 KB)
- Instructions for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users can be downloaded by clicking here. (approx. 400 KB)
Once you have confirmed that computer has recognized the VS-700C as a stand-alone device, take the following steps:
- Download the VS700_Firmware file from the download link below
- Extract the contents of the package by right-clicking on it and choosing "Extract All". On Mac OSX extract by double-clicking. Note: be sure to unzip it to a location on your computer that you can find later
- Locate and extract the contents of the folder for the firmware version you wish to install
- Be sure the VS-700C is turned off.
- Remove all USB cables from your PC/MAC except for keyboard and mouse.
- In the "Setting" section on the back of the VS-700C, put DIP switch 8 in the "On" position while leaving all the other DIP switches in the "Off" position. See the picture below:
- Turn on the power of the VS-700C.
- Connect the VS-700C to the PC/Mac with USB cable. IMPORTANT: make sure that Windows properly detects the VS-700C as a stand-alone device. If you are not sure how this is done, please see the instructions in the links above.
- Press [OK/ENTER] button which is blinking at the right side of top panel. The message "Erase" will be available on the LCD display.
- Press [OK/ENTER] button again. The message "Sure?" will be shown on the LCD display.
- Press [OK/ENTER] button once more. The LCD will display "0%", indicating that the unit is ready to receive the firmware update.
- In the folder you extracted, double click on the UpdSMF(.EXE) to launch on a Windows PC, UpdSMF on a Mac.
- Select [CONSOLE (VS-700)] as "MIDI Out Device", [CONSOLE] on a Mac.
- Locate the folder including the update files "p00001.mid" and "p00002.mid" to "SMF Path" or "SMF Folder" on a Mac. This should be located in the same folder unless you moved it. You can browse to it by clicking the Path button
- Click on Scan SMF (not required on a Mac) then confirm that update files are on the list.
- Click Send. Data transfer begins.
- The update takes about one minute to complete. NEVER turn off the power while the update is in progress.
- The message "End" will be shown on the LCD display when the update completed successfully.
- Click OK in the "Send SMF / Complete" dialog window.
- Click Exit or QUIT on a Mac to quit the application.
- Turn off the power of the VS-700C then after a while turn it on again.
- Confirm that the version is now V1.31.
- Turn off the power then put DIP switch 8 back into the "Off" position.
- If you use the VS-700C as a stand-alone device, put DIP switch 1 back into the "On" position.
- If you use the VS-700C together with the VS-700R, leave all DIP switches Off, disconnect the USB cable from the VS-700C and connect the sync cable between the VS-700C and VS-700R.